Thursday, March 3, 2011

Neonomicon

So yesterday I picked up Alan Moore's new thing, Neonomicon. I don't know what to say. I should have been concerned when I saw the ads for Crossed (about rape zombies) on the back. I like horror comics (as evidenced by my recent gushing about Hellboy and B.P.R.D) but this wasn't really doing it for me. It's not that it's bad, it's just not the quality I would expect from someone of Moore's status, especially after reading League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that same day.

I am by no means an anti-Mooreite, but I'm just not feeling this one. It feels forced in places, and like they are deliberately trying to startle. Whereas I am genuinely concerned for Hellboy and the members of the B.P.R.D, I really don't have that much empathy for the characters in Neonomicon. I'm going to keep looking into it because it's Alan Moore, but I don't want the same thing to happen here that did to Nemisis. I have a great respect for Alan Moore and his incredible writing, but in all honesty if it was any other writer I would not be continuing with the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment